Learning a new language always has to start somewhere, so why not start with saying hi! This article lists five ways of greeting someone, and states in which countries they are used.
- Namaste – Hindi. You might know this greeting thanks to yoga classes. Hindi is being spoken in the north of India and Nepal.
- Hallo – German. This can be said at each moment of the day. The countries where you can greet someone saying hallo are Germany, parts of Switzerland and Austria.
- Salaam – Persian/Farsi. This language is spoken in parts of the old Persian empire. These countries are nowadays Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan and you could use Salaam in some parts of Bahrain and Uzbekistan.
- Jambo – Swahili. There are about 80 million people speaking Swahili. Most of them live in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda.
- Konnichiwa – Japanese. This greeting can only be used in Japan, since that is the only country where the language is used.
After reading this list you should be able to start a conversation in fourteen countries, the only thing missing is a ticket to one of these countries!